Hemorrhoids are enlarged blood vessel nodules in the lower part of the rectum.
What are the causes of hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids are caused by the processes in blood vessels, in this case – veins, and processes in intestines and around them.
Hemorrhoids are caused by:
- congenital weakness of venous walls (weak connective tissue which may be the result of malnutrition), outflow disturbances from blood vessels of the small pelvis,
- sedentary lifestyle stimulates constipations which, in its turn, create conditions for hemorrhoid development and progression, as bowel movement requires a lot of effort and strain.
All factors which stimulate constipations also cause hemorrhoids:
- food with low fibre content, insufficient intake of fluid,
- in case of intestinal tumours, after intestinal surgeries,
What are the symptoms of hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids can be caused by:
- feeling of discomfort in the rectal area which can increased up to the pain during bowel movement,
- rash, wetness in the anal region,
- bleeding from hemorrhoidal nodules,
- sudden severe pain can be caused by thrombosis of hemorrhoiudal veins.
Hemorrhoids are divided into four degrees, depending on severity of the disease manifestations:
1. hemorrhoidal nodules are only inside the rectum,
2. during bowel movement or high physical load hemorrhoidal nodules protrude outside through the anal orifice. At the end of the effort they recover place,
3. during bowel movement or high physical load hemorrhoidal nodules protrude outside through the anal orifice, but they must be pushed back to their former position,
4. hemorrhoidal nodules are permanently located (also) outside the anal orifice.
How to diagnose hemorrhoids?
You should consult a proctologist who will examine this part of the rectum in order to make a precise diagnosis of possible disease.
Hemorrhoids can be examined visually using a proctoscope.
How to treat hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoid treatment can be promoted by:
- diet (vegetables, fruit, berries, fibre, sufficient amount of fluid),
- sufficient physical activities,
- sufficient physical activities,
! Constipation is a common issue which usually requires a complex solution. Long-term bad mood can cause constipation. Even the toilet matters. If you don't feel comfortable enough in the toilet, you will try to go there as seldom as possible.
! In case of hemorrhoid treatment, especially if they are more severe than the first degree, hygienic measures are of particular importance - washing after each defecation and, if the physician prescribed so, also drugs or skin care products.
! You should pay attention even to such banal things as toilet paper - it must be soft.
! You should also abandon the habit to go to the toilet with a newspaper. This place is not appropriate for long reading, and the newspaper should not be used for a different purpose in case of hemorrhoids.
In non-advanced cases different smears or suppositories are often prescribed; they are introduced into the rectum, and they may be enough to alleviate inflammation of hemorrhoidal nodules and eliminate or reduce complaints. Along with the measures aimed at the cause of hemorrhoids, they could prevent or postpone the necessity of surgery, and it is one of the opportunities to treat hemorrhoids. There is usually no threat of complications in non-advanced stages, the disease responds to treatment and prognosis is good.
For treatment of hemorrhoids of the first and second degrees HC4 Baltic Vein Clinic applies:
- applications of resin rings for dilated hemorrhoidal nodules.
In case of the third of forth degree hemorrhoids (in case of advanced stage of the disease) the treatment usually involves surgery using:
- THD method,
- Longo method.
The first symptom that worries the patient is the blood on toilet paper after defecation. This is a cause of concern, you just need to find out the reason. The symptom is sufficiently serious to consult a physician as soon as possible. In some cases it may turn out that the reason was a small tear of the mucosa due to regular constipations.
If the bleeding, even insignificant, often occurs, it may cause chronic iron deficiency anemia.
Rash in the anal region is often so disturbing and painful that is can be considered as a complication of hemorrhoids, not their symptom. That's why different inflammatory processes may appear in the region of anal orifice.
If the disease has advanced, the surgery is complicated, and there may be problems with intestinal content continence.
You should not forget that there are similar complaints in case of other diseases of the rectum, including rectal cancer!!!
In case of the aforesaid symptoms you should consult a proctologist in order to undergo diagnostics and, if necessary, timely treatment!